PROMISE Technology Unveils Shared Scale Out SAN Storage Solution for the Media and Entertainment Market at NAB 2013
New VTrak A-Class is Fast, Easy to Use, Scalable, and Dramatically Reduces the Cost and Complexity of SAN Deployments
LAS VEGAS, April 8, 2013 – Today at the 2013 NAB show, PROMISE Technology, Inc., a leader in developing high-performance RAID storage solutions for the media and entertainment market, unveiled a comprehensive, low cost turnkey scale out SAN storage solution for big data : the new VTrak A-Class. Developed with creative professionals in the media and entertainment market in mind, the VTrak A-Class is ideally suited and feature optimized to the storage intensive workflows of post-production, broadcast and data asset management and archiving. PROMISE’s new storage solution enables multiple clients running Windows®, Mac OS® X or Linux to access a shared SAN filesystem over Fibre Channel.
As an all-in-one SAN solution, the VTrak A-Class eliminates the need to purchase a separate primary metadata storage server, secondary metadata storage server, metadata storage device/array in order to create a SAN solution. A single integrated vendor solution is easier to deploy, more energy efficient, and more cost effective.
PROMISE has a strong foothold and long history in the post-production, broadcast and data asset management markets. From collaborating and editing post-production video to storing archives, creative professionals process massive quantities of large, high resolution files on a daily basis. Excellent throughput is crucial to these data intensive tasks, and the VTrak A-Class meets and exceeds the increased performance requirements that are typical of the media and entertainment industries. When designing the VTrak A-Class, PROMISE worked closely with customers and partners who voiced the need for a single vendor SAN storage solution that would address the challenges they faced – including increasingly complex shared storage at high acquisition costs. As an integrated SAN solution, the VTrak A-Class reduces the complexity of a SAN configuration to a single unit and single unified managed software, with a low cost for entry into a solution you can “pay as you grow”. Requiring zero server hardware, the new solution allows for high-performance collaborative editing right out of the box, using PROMISE’s high performing, low latency filesystem, VTrakFS. Additionally, the VTrak A-Class simplifies support and makes it easy to grow the system all the way up to 7 plus petabytes – all while remaining online and without downtime.
The VTrak A-Class enriches PROMISE’s dynamic portfolio of storage solutions for rich media applications. The new solution delivers high-performance file sharing for nearly all aspects of media and entertainment, including video, film and broadcast, at a fraction of the cost of its competitors.
“PROMISE has become a trusted supplier to the media and entertainment market by developing fast, simple, scalable, cost effective storage solutions,” said James Lee, CEO, PROMISE Technology. “More than just a storage system, the VTrak A-Class builds on this legacy and moves beyond storage with a world-class SAN filesystem infrastructure. This makes it an excellent solution for companies that have high-performance digital video requirements and want to maximize the efficiency of their storage infrastructure.”
Key Benefits Include:
- High-performance, low latency over a shared SAN optimized for high definition resolution, providing over 5,500MB/s Sequential Read and 2,400MB/s Sequential Write performance, per node up to eight nodes.
- Collaborative editing right out of the box. No additional cost of switch needed for up to 4 clients, which means no additional equipment besides “one box”.
- Supports heterogeneous environments for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
- Single vendor solution – SAN server and data all in one box under a browser-based management GUI.
- 30-40% Power savings with at least 30-40% less required rackspace for additional servers, and switches.
- Scale Out performance with capacity by adding eight VTrak Ex30f series subsystem storage nodes. Total capacity is 4TB SAS HDD x 1,920 = 7.68 PB raw storage
- Single pane management software to manage the SAN server, storage nodes and clients means easy deployment and manageability in a fraction of the time of traditional storage solutions.
- Perfect Rebuild is available to reduce drive rebuild time. Advanced anti-fragmentation reduces latency and improves overall performance.
- Efficient and easy user management through LDAP Active Directory & Open Directory support, Access Control List (ACL).
- Grow to over 7 plus petabytes, always online and all without downtime.
- Single appliance offers up to 50% cost savings over current solutions.
- Optional NAS Clustered Gateway
PROMISE is showcasing the new VTrak A-Class at NAB 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada from April 8 – 11 at booth #SL9324. NAB attendees can also see hands-on demonstrations of PROMISE’s complete range of storage solutions for creative professionals, including the SANLink Fibre Channel to Thunderbolt™ adapter and the complete line of Pegasus storage solutions with Thunderbolt technology.
The V-Trak A-Class will be available through Global Distribution during August 2013 and will be shown at Global’s stand 7:G16 at IBC 2013 in Amsterdam.